What exactly is exfoliation?
Exfoliation is the means by which dead skin cells are removed from the top layer of skin. Regular exfoliation notoriously keeps healthy skin in check!
Although there are several tried and true methods of exfoliating, we wanted to briefly touch on our ultimate favorites at Outlast. So, without further delay...
1. THE ULTIMATE IN EXFOLIATING is Professional Dermaplaning! Now, I know we have talked about this once or twice. Quick refresher.
Professional Dermaplaning is performed in-office using a #10 scalpel to manually exfoliate the top layer of dead, dull skin and also eliminates dirt and the soft, fine vellus hair, known as peach fuzz. The immediate result is brighter, smoother and healthier skin.
No, nope, no chance that your hair will grow back thicker or darker. It will come back exactly the same! Our team at Outlast encourages dermaplaning at least every 4 weeks, since the rate of our skin cell turnover is approximately every 40 to 56 days.
2. Our second favorite method of exfoliation is a tried and true medical grade chemical peel! How do they work? Rather than a manual exfoliation with a tool, chemical peels are just that - a chemical exfoliation that uses specified acids to resurface the skin's outermost layers. The goal here is to eliminate dead, dull pore-clogging skin cells and replace them with new, healthy skin cells. Chemical peels work by inducing controlled inflammation, which causes your skin to respond by healing. This healing process consists of rapid regeneration of new skin cells and a boost in collagen production. We recommend a chemical peel every 4-6 weeks, or as indicated.
3. This is the easiest way for you to mildly exfoliate and maintain that youthful glow at home... SkinMedica AHA/BHA Cleanser! A gentle enough exfoliating cleanser that can be used everyday to slough away dirt and debris. A small amount is all you need to thoroughly cleanse and exfoliate away dead skin cells to leave your skin absolutely radiant, soft, bright and smooth. Although washing your face twice a day is imperative, at Outlast, we recommend doing a good exfoliation in the morning, since our skin repairs itself all night -- in the morning the dead skin is ready to be sloughed away.
In conclusion, here's the ultimate benefits of regular exfoliation:
- Improvement of dry, dull skin
- Cleaner, unclogged pores
- Helps avoid acne
- Aids with the absorption of skin products
- Improvement of skin texture and tone
- Instant radiant glow
- Flawless make-up application
We look forward to seeing you at Outlast soon for a thorough consultation and a quick exfoliation to make your day. XO